Happy New Year!
When making your list of resolutions for 2019, consider adding a commitment to break the “Breach and Blame” cycle that inevitably follows a failure in instrument reprocessing practices.
Instead of focusing energy on post-incident arguments and finger pointing that inevitably follow significant breaches in procedure, consider initiating a dialogue aimed at minimizing the chances of these situations occurring in the first place. Conversations like this are never easy, but the following recommends a team-oriented process based on 3-A’s that can help the chances of success.
- Review — go over the policies and protocols at your facility to help the team identify and credibly address violations.
- Read – find and articles like this one on Point of Use Cleaning and share them with team to improve the knowledge base.
- Ratify — write a team pledge that commits to following all best practices, without cutting corners.
- Socialize —share the pledge with key Infection Prevention stakeholders so everyone knows that Sterile Processing takes infection control and patient safety seriously.
- Publicize—make the pledge visible, perhaps hang in on the break room wall and revisit it regularly.
- Energize—identify problems early, report them promptly and propose solutions proactively. Make the pledge real.
- Join Forces —constantly work to break down the departmental boundaries that divide teams.
- Talk it Out —initiate team conversations about incidents reported in real news stories and how to address them.
- Ask Questions — request feedback from a variety of sources and implement suggestions that make the team stronger.
Let us know if Case Medical can help you with your 2019 Infection Prevention success story!